Monday, November 24, 2014

Ectocomp2014 - Quick Reviews

Following, my thoughts on the latest Ectocomp, which I was part of with a sublime waste of time (for the players).

You can find the games in a single .zip here.

Here's the votes as I sent them to the organizers. They are not proper reviews (just a line or two of impressions and a single word of mockery at the end), but you don't get a proper review from me anyway, so why bother?




=====================
Another Cliched Adventure Game (ACAG), by David Whyld

Succeeds in cracking a smile, here and there. Unapologetic.


=====================
Candlesmoke, by Caelyn Sandel and Carolyn VanEseltine

Well done and narrated. I’ve got a sense of spatial reasoning, and that was cool. Demoniacal.


=====================
Candy Rush Saga, by Andrew Schultz

Andrew never fails at delivering a puzzle. Old-style, but inventive in the setting. Nine is the new Fifteen.


=====================
Carriage Returns, by David Good

Got the RHPS references. But the end is too fast (although I understand this is not a comment which can do justice to a SpeedIF). Welcome back on the field, Dave! Let’s do the time warp!


=====================
Character Creator, by Erin Gigglecreek

Some of the results in “dressing up” myself gave me the goosebumps. Trypophobia.


=====================
Choose Your Own SPOOKY Death, by Healy

Not bad. But “unfinished” means “cheating”, here. (Ok, I’m joking!). Latecomer.


=====================
City of the Living Dead, by Tanah Atkinson

Reminded me of Begscape. Is it random-generated? Cardinal.


=====================
Devil's Food, by Hanon Ondricek

Impressive fantasy at work, here. While I loved setting, prose and the game itself, I surely hated the timed events. I can’t read that fast! Delicious.


=====================
Eclosion, by Buster Hudson

Nice graphics. The game… I don’t think I found a good ending. Is there one? Viral.


=====================
First Person, by Buster Hudson

Man, I LOVED the voice. The narrating character is cool, and the monologue-feeling was unique. Escaping is a bit too easy, though. Bones!


=====================
A Fly on the Wall, by Nigel Jayne
=====================

I’m impressed by what one can achieve in 3 hrs. Interesting, and this looks way bigger than it really is. Professional.


=====================
halloween candy triage simulator 2014 by j. marie

Reminds me of an old joke about a boy who unwraps a candy. And then another, and then another. In the end the listener gets to ask: “so what?”. Untranslatable (from Italian. The joke, I mean.)*


=====================
IDSPISPOPD, by Christopher Brent
(not played, due to browser problems)


=====================
It Is Pitch Black, by Caelyn Sandel

Well, a complete text adventure, with a map, a sprawling puzzle and some top-notch writing. I almost forgot it was made with Twine. Old-fashioned.


=====================
Lime Ergot, by Rust Blight

Incredible atmosphere and a good story told in just one room. I was almost surprised by the finale. Perfectly delivered. Sour.


=====================
LISEY, by Marco Innocenti
It’s me, Sandra Dee!


=====================
The Voodoo You Do 2, by Marshal Tenner Winter

I could fee the damp. Loved the atmosphere. MTW got the right voice for the right piece. Tongue-twister.


=====================
Wedding Day, by E. Joyce

Well recounted, it took me to the ending without me noticing what was happening. Probably the most frightening game in this Ectocomp. Twilight zone.


=====================
The Weird Mirror, by M.J. Antonellis

Feels incomplete. I’d like to know more about the man's revenge, and what does this all mean. A post-comp release is most needed. Cliffhanger.




-----

* The untranslatable joke, in original language (Florentine dialect):

—Un omino piglia una caramella, la scarta e la mangia. Un omino piglia una caramella, la scarta e la mangia. Un omino piglia una caramella, la scarta e la mangia. Un omino piglia una caramella, la scarta e la mangia. Un omino piglia una caramella, la scarta e la mangia. Un omino piglia una caramella, la scarta e la mangia...

—Sì, ok, e d'icché la sa?  [la battuta, ovviamente]

—Di menta!

No comments:

Post a Comment